Sunday, October 22, 2006

hello winter, goodbye fashion

It was a rough week. I had mentioned the lack of heat in a previous post, but things got worse and worse. I spent the most miserable 48 hours of my life in bed with a terrible cold in an unheated house under three comforters and the temperature continued to drop. I discovered that leaving all the burners on and the oven on with the door open isn't a bad way of heating a small apartment (and I didn't asphyxiate myself, fortunately).

Finally, the heat came on--just as the temperature jumped 20 degrees! The good news is that (I hope) the house should be nice and toasty from here on out. The archives are another story--they'll be miserable for the rest of my stay, I think. Once I began felling better, I ran out and got some warm gear, so I can survive the hours I have to spend there. You see the results--very retro '80s--below. Thigh-high socks, leg warmers (they're great!), and gloves with the fingers cut out (handy for typing). Yes, the fashion police might arrest me, but at least I'll be warm(er)!

In the meantime, I've booked a vacation in Crimea for next week. Should be nice and toasty there too! Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home