Friday, November 03, 2006

time to go home

I'm cranky this week. I leave for the US for a conference/Thanksgiving vacation in exactly ten days, and they couldn't come soon enough. Since the time change, I've had a really hard time dealing with the fact that it's already pitch black by 5pm. It's also cold and blustery, and the sun never really shines during the day. Add to that the fact that my ATM card isn't working for some reason, and when I tried to exchange my traveller's checks yesterday, I spent a Kafka-esque two hours trying to prove to ill-tempered bank employees that I am indeed myself! (They didn't like that the signatures on my credit cards, passport, and checks were all slightly different. I have to admit they're right--my signature is beginning to resemble the illiterate scrawls I frequently see on peasants' petitions to government officials!) Not to mention that I was SLAPPED yesterday by a woman in the metro, who was angry that she hurt herself when she CHARGED into my computer bag.

I'm already having food fantasy dreams about all the spicy food and salad and avacados I'll eat in DC. I'm also greatly looking forward to seeing the Borat movie, which opens today! And watching hours of CSI re-runs on Spike TV. Three cheers for sanitary, produce-laden America! Which will hopefully have a non-republican Congress by the end of next week. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home